Less publicised yet MOST educational feature of New iPad!

Having used my darling husband’s iPad 1 and our school’s iPad 2’s, I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of iPad 3 before I spent the money on my own iPad. I was interested in the better camera capabilities and the better screen.

There is no doubt that when you pick up the New iPad (apparently it is not called iPad 3.. ha!) the first thing that strikes you is the clarity of the screen. It truly is “brilliant! In every sense of the word.” Zooming in on pictures, playing videos or animated apps is a new experience.

But educationally does this far better visual experience make a difference? Probably not.

There is one feature, however, that is not publicised much at all.  In fact it is the last thing Apple mentions on its website tucked under all the other whizz-bang features.  I think this slight improvement could make a huge educational impact.  It is the Dictation feature.  On iPad 1 and 2, I used Dragon dictation for this sort of feature, or within apps such as Sound cloud or Posterous. But there is no need for dictation apps anymore, as literally anywhere there is a typing pad screen, the dictation function is available: writing notes, contacts, update twitter, and any apps!

This will make for seamless dictating possibilities for reluctant writers, for extending early finishers, for debating, for persuasive writing, or for language learning.

I am looking forward to trying out some dictations this week and will report back in.  Just wanted to make a case for an iPad 3 if you were still hovering on the fence between the cheaper iPad 2’s.  I think the money is well spent on the iPad 3’s features, especially the dictation feature.

Any other features of the iPad 3 stick out for you?  How have you used Dictation in the classroom?

5 thoughts on “Less publicised yet MOST educational feature of New iPad!

1. Hi Aine,

This sounds like a great new feature! I’ve toyed with the idea of getting an iPad3 but I’m not sure. The dictation feature sounds great though. I look forward to hearing how it goes. I know when I use Siri on my iPhone, half the time she doesn’t understand what I’m saying. Hopefully the iPad3 is designed to read Aussie accents.

I used Dragon Dictation with my low grade twos who couldn’t write independently. It was a handy tool to help them with their spelling. Dictation could have many other uses too I’m sure!

Thanks for another great post,
    Kathleen

2. Dear Kathleen,

I would recommend the iPad3 and the dictation feature is a great bonus to help you with your decision.

I am amazed so far at the Dictation with my accent… very happy it can read the Irish accent. It is better than Siri by far and I think better than Dragon as well. Time will tell in the classroom. I am going to use it tomorrow, so will let you know how that goes.

I have added a dictation style voicemail widget Speakpipe to my class blog as well, which will hopefully get some more comments especially for those that are worried about their spelling. Haven’t decided how to use it full yet, something to think about over the school holidays.

Áine

3. Mhh.. Interesting, I wasn’t aware of the dictation feature. Instead I am using an app called Nearpod to launch interactive presentations on the students’ ipads/iphones. I think you should try it, it’s free!! 🙂

• Wow, I had never seen that app before. It looks fantastic for schools with 1:1 ipads. Have you tried it with a lesser ratio?

Thanks for visiting the blog.
      Áine

4. Hi, I have got behind reading your blog so was glad that someone posted a comment on the Digital Nomad post so I could revisit.
    I have moved to a new country and a new position. I had forgotten about the dictation feature. Thanks for reminding me as I will share it with my teachers. We have iPad 3’s 🙂 I know, I know that is not the name but it helps distinguish it. Anyway, we have the new iPads for our teachers and carts for each grade level. I have been encouraging teachers use Dragon Dictation but had totally forgotten about the built in feature. Thanks for reminding me